A Few Words
As a martial arts instructor with extensive experience training kids, there is nothing better than seeing them grow firsthand.
But more important than the martial arts skills they learn… are the personal skills they develop and carry for life.
Martial arts is much more than kicking, punching, and getting the next colorful belt. It’s about developing confidence, discipline, character, focus, and respect. With every class we teach, your kids are growing in mind, body and character.
That’s because martial arts provides instant positive feedback. Through learning to focus on the core moves, they develop discipline and respect. They can instantly see and feel a difference, and they build confidence, self-awareness and self-respect.
And of course it’s a ton of FUN!
That’s why I love teaching martial arts to kids in this community, and why I know your kids are going to LOVE training with us.
Does your young child
They struggle to maintain control of their movements and may be unintentionally destructive.
They find it difficult to focus on a task or to see it through to the end.
They have a hard time sharing their belongings and getting along with other kids.
We cover one of the 8 Core Skills per class
- Warm up exercises
- A mat chat about the skill being taught
- 2 to 3 skill building drills
- Students will then demonstrate the skill
learned to earn their skill stripe
Students must earn all 8 skill-stripes in order to graduate to the next belt level. Once they earn their next belt they will continue to run through all 8 skills earning skills-strips by completing more challenging curriculum as they advance to the next rank. After they successfully complete all 9 belt ranks in the program, students will graduate into one of our traditional Martial Arts programs.
Your Child Will LOVE Spectrum Skillz Martial Arts
The best part of the Spectrum Skillz program is the physical, intellectual, emotional growth that you will see in your child, that will give them the skills that will prepare them to thrive in the future.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE 8 CORE SKILLS
- AWARENESS: Duck under targets swung at them to build spatial awareness and understanding of the correlation between a moving object and themselves while processing speed and movement , of other objects.
- DETAILING: Demonstrate proper punches while applying fine motor skills in a simple manner to make it easier to eventually process more intricate movements.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE 8 CORE SKILLS
- OBSERVING: Name techniques demonstrated by the instructor to build the ability to maintain longer than normal eye contact to develop increased focus and attention span.
- LISTENING: Demonstrate punches on the beat of a metronome to correlate sounds with the timing of their punches to learn to pick up on and process audio cues.
- COMMUNICATION: Explain how to do 1 of the techniques they have learned so they can better communicate with their peers and instructors more effectively and using their own words.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE 8 CORE SKILLS
- RETENTION: Perform 3 basic blocks and strikes called out by the instructor to practice retaining information and building long term memory and leading to a better understanding of the technique.
- DURABILITY: Perform simple static warm-ups to increase muscle tone throughout the upper and lower body, as well as, in their core.
- DETERMINATION: Students will break boards to help them to learn to be more comfortable with the sensations, sounds, and emotions associated with breaking boards.
Spectrum Skillz takes Martial Arts training to a whole new level!
We use core elements of traditional martial arts training and combine them with contemporary teaching techniques, science and psychology, while utilizing an in-depth understanding of how kids on the spectrum learn and grow. This means that your child will learn and grow at a pace that is appropriate for them in a fun stress-free environment.
- No enrollment fees.
- No membership dues.
- No testing fees from White
through Blue Belt.
- Cancel at anytime without a penalty.
- Free Birthday Parties for our
Members and their families.
- Premium Birthday Parties available by request.
- Free Parent Night Out events for
Members and their guests.
- Our instructors are utilize the
most current child development
techniques to teach.
I can’t explain just how amazing this place is! My daughter was born at just 23 weeks, 1lb. She just turned 3, and is doing well but had a long bumpy road. With said, she has some visual impairments, mild cerebral palsy, and severe anxiety issues. We are four classes in now, and although my daughter cries each time we get to the school, the instructors (every single one) ALWAYS treat her like their own and take their time with her. She comes out of class so happy and oh so proud of herself! They do not treat her differently because of her impairments, they are all patient and kind, and above all understanding. We are BEYOND pleased with GEMA, and the staff to include the wonderful families we have met. Thank you GEMA for creating a better world for my daughter!
I've tried a bunch of martial arts over the years, but it wasn't until I got to Gentle East that I realized that the art itself doesn't matter so much--it's the attitude of its practitioners. These people aren't learning and teaching how to kill, but how to live. How to live despite trauma and illness, and to keep practicing their art even if it's just in their hearts. The tenets are courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self-control, and indomitable spirit, and they mean every word. They teach the kids that other dojangs won't. Autistic, physically challenged, special needs, you name it. They're fully engaged with the messy business of life. A whole lot of families are glad that Master Barbara Robinson followed her vision. Ours is one.
An awesome martial arts school that truly cares.
Love, love, love this place! The staff is incredibly kind and supportive, and the family atmosphere is palpable the moment you walk in the door! I am so impressed with the work being done with autism spectrum kids, as well as other kids with physical challenges. No one is made to feel like they don't belong here! I even joined the mommy class and my toddlers are allowed to run around us while we work out. I've lost a few pounds, and gained some amazing (non-judgemental) mom-friends! An oasis of kindness and support in the middle of what is often a 'keep up with the Jones's " area of town.
We love the instructors and family atmosphere! Thank you!
Our Physical DOORS and DIGITAL DOORS are OPEN! Secure your spot & get started today with our FREE EXCLUSIVE online offer!
Yes, it can. We help children learn the importance of emotional control and respect for others. These are lessons that will help them in the classroom, too.
Yes. Even though studying martial arts is an individual pursuit, we teach kids to learn in a collaborative environment with an emphasis on sharing, cooperation, and teamwork.
Yes. Part of martial arts training is teaching kids to be mindful of themselves and their surroundings. They must focus to succeed in class, and once they learn to do it, they’ll be able to do the same thing at school.
Martial arts instruction focuses on hand-eye coordination, control, and strength. As kids learn basic moves and then advance, they learn how to control their bodies and movements.
Yes. It’s common for students to require more than one attempt to earn a new belt. We teach them that trying is the most important thing – and that persistence pays off.
Respect is at the core of everything we do in the dojo. Kids who study martial arts must respect their instructors and fellow students, and we find that they learn to respect parents, teachers, caregivers, and siblings at the same time.
Kids learn how to listen respectfully to others without interruptions.
Our students learn the value of discipline as they pursue clearly-defined goals.
Martial arts instruction teaches kids how to accept defeat and learn from their mistakes.
Martial arts helps kids build core strength, balance, and physical coordination.
ACCESS OUR SCHEDULE
Our Physical DOORS and DIGITAL DOORS are OPEN! Secure your spot & get started today with our FREE EXCLUSIVE online offer!Get Started Today